25 Things That Really Matter When Relating To Children
by Lee Wise
A Beautiful Moment In Time
© Lee Wise All rights reserved
In my opinion, these things matter...
1. Enjoying childlike delights before the child no longer delights in being one.
2. Paying attention long enough to understand yet caring enough to make a necessary correction once it's all understood.
3. Responding to immaturity in a mature way.
4. Being silly when I can,
5. And fun when it's not cool to be silly.
6. Making time to listen when it's their time -- not just "my time."
7. Being big enough to say "I was wrong,"
8. Sensitive enough to ask, "Will you forgive me?"
9. And courageous enough to correct my ways in the process.
10. Teaching by my actions that additional freedom is earned by being responsible and not an automatic right acquired on the date of the next birthday.
11. Sharing laughter for no other reason than laughter is being shared with me.
12. Complimenting like crazy,
13. Avoiding foolish demands like the plague,
14. And hugging whether they are huggable or not.
15. Remembering that little people are no more -- but no less than -- just that: little people.
16. Looking in the mirror and realizing "I'm one of the little people who got older."
17. Making sure that "You've done well" doesn't always carry with it "But you *should have* done better."
18. Knowing when to truthfully say "For this I am not responsible: you are." (And living with myself once I've said it.)
19. Knowing the importance of releasing without disconnecting,
20. Being a friend while being a parent,
21. Listening to learn instead of waiting to tell,
22. And giving space without giving up.
23. Knowing the immense value of being able to say in the end "I have done all I could reasonably do -- and them some."
24. Taking time to show up when I can as opposed to wishing I could when showing up is not possible or worse: not wanted.
25. Loving with all my heart because in the end it's worth it all.
© Lee Wise All rights reserved. You may freely distribute this article. The copyright and this resource box must be included.
No Cost Ezine! "A Beautiful Moment In Time" is an ezine designed to bring moments of encouragement and inspiration into your everyday world. For your fr^ee subscription go here --
This article provided by the Family Content Archives at: http://www.Family-Content.com
Page - PeopleOfFaith.com - Visitor
2004 People of Faith