Let's NOT Talk Turkey
by Kristin Johnson
Christmas Cookies Are For Giving
The carving. The leftovers. The endless stuffing. Actually, you love the stuffing, cranberries and turkey trimmings. However, it's been seven years and you know your family will throw the turkey out the window if they have to eat the bird one more Christmas (and never mind the lectures about starving children in Ethiopia---or better yet, send them the turkey if you can get it through security.)
The Pilgrims and your third-grade teacher started something by preaching the turkey gospel. But if you didn't have turkey---as your vegetarian friends remind you, it's so much better than Big Macs--- what would you serve?
* Lasagna---it's always a crowd-pleaser.
* Slice avocadoes and combine with sliced cucumbers, chopped green olives, diced tomatoes, and sliced onions for a winter red/green salad.
* Serve Mexican and have a "Feliz Navidad" party.
* Serve Holiday Noodles---Thai, lo mein, crispy, or egg noodles tossed with scallions and covered with red curry powder or red pepper.
* Get your Omega-3 boost from salmon, made festive with salsa and guacamole toppings.
* Make a "Christmas pizza": green peppers, tomatoes, goat cheese, green olives...let your imagination run wild!
Of course, don't forget the Christmas cookies!
Enjoy the turkey-free healthy and tasty holiday traditions you've created.
This article provided by the Family Content Archives at: http://www.Family-Content.com
Page - PeopleOfFaith.com - Visitor
2004 People of Faith