Just Say No!
by Bria Simpson
Bria Coaching Company
Something we are often guilty of- is saying yes to help others, when we really want to say no. Are you guilty of this problem, as I have been? Why do we do this? Maybe it's because we don't want to disappoint someone or because we feel like we have to "do it all" to be respected and feel valued. Hogwash. If we want balance and inner peace, we have to be able to just say no to what is not on our "absolute yes" list. It's that simple.
Here are some suggestions:
* Stay in touch with your priorities (see Issue #1, on www.briacoach.com). Be clear on your "absolute yes" list- the activities that benefit your personal growth, your family's
well-being and your need for balance.
* Don't answer right away when you are asked to do something. Take at least 24 hours to think about it. Is it something you really have time to do, and still keep a healthy balance and some down time? Is it on your list of absolute priorities? If not, just say no!
* Realize you will, at times, disappoint others. You can't please people all the time, and still be good to yourself. Put yourself first- and others will benefit from your joy and happiness.
* If you are stuck in the "I have to do it all because I'm super-mama" trap, recognize it and let it go. When you are frantic, you are blocking your ability to live authentically and enjoy your life. Why would you want to do that?
* Keep explanations to a minimum. A simple, "thanks for asking, but I just can't add that into my life right now" is great.
"The wisdom of life consists of the elimination of nonessentials" -Lin Yutang
Be being able to just say no, you will free up time to bring in what matters most in your life. You will be able to live more Authentically and peacefully. Liberate yourself and start practicing!
Bria Simpson, MA
Life Coach and Parenting Specialist
If you may be interested in coaching, I'd be happy to give you a Free sample session. Please contact me or click on the website below
for more information.
© 2004 by Bria Simpson
All rights and media reserved.
Helping moms strengthen and balance their family lives while rediscovering their own passions and interests.
This article provided by the Family Content Archives at: http://www.Family-Content.com
Page - PeopleOfFaith.com - Visitor
2004 People of Faith